Plastic residue is polluting the oceans and killing marine life. Many animals are eating it and dying from the plastic in their stomachs.
Forty-four percent of all seabird species, 22 percent of Cetaceans (whales, dolphins, and porpoises), all sea turtles, and a growing list of fish have been found to be contaminated with these materials.
The effects of this are disastrous, including internal blockages, starvation, and often, death.
Plastic is also harmful to the environment and humans, it has some of the most damaging toxins on the planet: contaminants such as PCBs, pesticides like DDT, herbicides, and other persistent organic pollutants.
99% of all plastics are made from petroleum byproducts.
Standard ingredients of plastic are carcinogenic, neurotoxic, and hormone-disruptive chemicals.
It’s time to be aware and we really need you: The only solution is YOUR ACTIONS.
- Change your diet with unpackaged foods from the farmer’s market or food co-op.
- Avoid canned foods and beverages.
- use reusable produce bags.
- Store, reheat or freeze your food in glass containers.
- Use reusable glass or stainless steel water bottles.
- Get a good water filter for your tap to replace bottled water.
- Make your own lotions, cosmetics, and cleaners from non-toxic ingredients.
- Replace your toothbrush with a non-toxic one.
- Choose wood, cloth, steel and paper-based toys for your children over plastic.
Please, choose eco-friendly alternatives, consume less, reduce economic waste at home, recycle and clean up the beaches.
The rewards are endless… Life is precious, use it in a wise manner.
By Raquel Rios.
Check out More Ocean Less Plastic http://www.5gyres.org